What should I do when our child have been molested?

Feb 2013

my daughter is 2. I was changing her diaper and she said "snake.". This seemed weird to me. Two days later I was changing her diaper and she said it again. I am a single working mother who takes her to a daycare. I showed her a picture of a penis from the internet and asked her what it was, she said "snake." I'm very distraught and cannot afford a different daycare. I do feel she is being molested and can't really tell what to physically look for. What type of physical exam does a doctor conduct to indicate whether a child has been molested? I feel that when someone watches my child besides me, when they are changing her diaper and she has had a bowel movement, some of the feces will be in/near/around her vaginal opening and don't know if they are "cleaning" too thorough, thereby breaking/tearing the Hyman with baby wipes just to clean her .... making it more difficult for a physician to know whether she has been sexually molested or not. Please explain the type of physian exam that is conducted in this situation.
Posted Tue, 3 Sep 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 4 days later
Brief Answer:
Child needs detailed evaluation by pediatrician.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

I can understand your concern.

In suspected molestation, the physician will conduct a skillful interview of the child depending on the level of the child development.

At the same time the physician will conduct a thorough clinical physical examination including the examination of genital parts followed by laboratory tests.

The physical examination includes examination of genital parts to look for any vaginal tenderness, bruising, redness or erythema, bleeding, discharge, and the anatomic structure of hymen.

The examination of hymen should include inspection of labia, fourchette, intrioitus, vestibule, urethra, edge of the hymen, and anus.

After the physical examination, the doctor will order for laboratory tests depending on his or her clinical examination.

Investigating the possibility of sexual abuse or molestation requires skilled, supportive, sensitive, and detailed history taking.

Ideally, the recorded forensic interview, which uses open-ended, nonleading questions, should be conducted on one occasion by one or two experienced interviewers in the presence of law enforcement, prosecutors, and social service workers who observe via closed-circuit television.

Hence I advise you to consult an experienced and skilled pediatrician for a skillful history taking and a thorough clinical examination and for reporting the incident.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.