What should I do to regain my standing and walking power while suffering from flatback syndrome?

I have flatback syndrome from an L3-4-5 fusion (2 years ago) and the muscles hurt A LOT to the right and left of my spine just below my waist and down the sides of my thighs. I've tried acupuncture, PT, injections, massage therapy... these muscles are "frozen" and nothing will soften them up. I was a very active person -- 3 miles a day fast walking/jogging for decades, and now I can't walk the dog. I'm 67 and not ready to give up. My husband died, so I just moved to a new state to be close to family. I'm starting with new docs.
Posted Fri, 27 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Go for physical therapies to avoid surgery. Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for writing in. Flat-back syndrome is postural disorder resulting in forward inclination of trunk, back pain, & inability to stand erect without flexing knees. If you have mild deformity then go for non surgical attepmt. Go for physical therapy with spinal extension exercises,attempt to increase hip extension,& non narcotic medication may provide symptomatic in case its mild imbalance In case conservative treatment fails then go for surgery.Before planning for major reconstructive spine surgery, go for complete medical evaluation. Consult orthopedician for further treatment plan. Hope I answered your query Regards Dr. Neha Sumra
Follow-up: What should I do to regain my standing and walking power while suffering from flatback syndrome? 1 hour later
Obviously I've done a lot of PT and would like to avoid surgery. Is there anyway to "unfreeze" the minor glutamus maxamus muscles? I feel if the muscles weren't so tight I would be able to stand and walk. I have been able to stretch the hip flexors but nobody has come up with a method for stretching/loosening these painfully tight muscles.
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Go for panchkarma Detailed Answer: Drugs can alleviate pain symptoms. Muscle relaxants would work briefly. If you aren't planning for surgery and have already tried physiotherapy / injections, you may try alternative / holistic therapy. I suggest my patients panchkarma therapy from ayurveda. I am sure this is an option to explore. This will surely help & may prevent from surgery. Regards Dr.Neha Sumra