What should I do to reduce my weight?

I am not able to lose weight despite of all my efforts. What should I do?
Posted Tue, 11 Feb 2014 in Weight Loss
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Please give me more information Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX Can you tell me your height and weight? I need to calculate your body mass index. I am also not sure the treatments that you have tried till now. Firstly you need to rule out organic conditions that can cause weight gain like hypothyroidism, diabetes, metabolic syndrome, hormonal imbalance, some medicine, PCOS, edema etc. Thus I will advise you to get blood tests done like complete blood count, thyroid profile, fasting blood sugar, serum calcium, serum iron, serum folic acid, serum vitamin B12 levels, SGOT, SGPT, BUN, serum creatinine, female hormone levels, etc. Other more common causes are overeating, binge eating, inactivity, high calorie foods, smoking, etc. To take care of these factors, you need to change your lifestyle. Keep your calorie intake between 1000 - 1200 kcal/day. Thus you need to avoid high calorie foods like milk products (milk, cream, cheese, butter, ghee, sweets, chocolate, cakes, pastries, etc) Anything that is made of milk will make you gain weight. Thus cut it out from diet completely. Lessen the intake of sugar, salt and oils. Exercise for atleast 20 min a day. Exercise can include gym, walk, yoga, aerobic exercise, swimming, cycling etc. Hope it helps. Waiting for your reply. Dr Vaishalee
Follow-up: What should I do to reduce my weight? 3 hours later
My height is 155cm and weight is 64.5kg. I am overweight but I take healthy diet. I don't drink or smoke. I come to office and go to home by walking. The distance is close to 1.1km. Earlier also I tried all sorts of combination possible viz., dieting, fruit diet, exercise+balanced diet(limiting to 1200-1500kcal/day), low oil food etc. but to no vain :( My mother suffers from hypothyroidism but she got it post my birth. I am really confused on this front.
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Get blood tests done Detailed Answer: Hi again, Your BMI is 26.8. Please get the blood tests done to rule out conditions that cause weight to increase. It is essential for you, since you have positive family history for hypothyroidism. You also need to limit the calorie intake to less than 1200 kcal/day. Combined with daily exercise it will take months to see any sustainable effect. Here is your sample plan: Early Morning: Green tea (sugar less) – 1 glass Breakfast: One of the following non fried preparations like: Whole wheat bread without butter – 2 slices Vegetable poha/ upma - 1 cup Idli 2pc. With Sāmbhar – 1 cup Stuffed chapatti (2 no.) with dry vegetable (no ghee or butter) – 1 katori Mid-Morning: Fruits (avoid the carbohydrate rich fruits like mango, sapota, grapes, banana, custard XXXXXXX and watermelon also avoid fruit juices and fruit milk shakes) Lunch: 2 chapatti + sabji 1 katori + boiled brown rice ½ katori + dal – 1 katori + salad 1 katori. Evening Snacks: Tea / Coffee (less or no sugar) + high fiber biscuits OR Sprouts / roasted channa 1 katori Dinner: 2 chapatti + vegetable 1 katori + salad 1 katori. Hope it helps. Dr Vaishalee