What should I do to reduce gamma gt level?

i am getting worried my Gamma GT is 200.
What should i do to reduce it?
Posted Tue, 5 Mar 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 38 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Gamma GT is found in many tissues of the body but mainly in the liver, kidney and pancreas. It can also be found in the intestine,spleen, heart and brain.

increased levels are associated with these liver conditions:hepatitis, cirrhosis, alcoholic liver disease, blockage of bile ducts in the liver, mass in the liver

There are also causes other than liver disease such as: smoking, pancreatitis (inflammation/infection of the pancreas), alcoholism, heart failure, side effect of some medications, lupus, cancer of the prostate, cancer of the lung.

It is important to determine what is causing the elevation for you, if you and your doctor can determine this and the condition or problem is resolved then the level may decrease.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: What should I do to reduce gamma gt level? 15 minutes later
many thanks for your explanation.

is a Gamma GT level of 200 dangerous? and is it something to worry about?

Is there any medicine i can take to lower the Gamma GT?

is there any natural foods that can lower Gamma GT?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 25 minutes later
The level of itself is not XXXXXXX it is used as an indicator that there is a potential problem with the liver or other areas mentioned.

There are no medicines or foods that are specifically used to reduce the level of GGT, the key is finding out what is causing the elevation and treating that problem.
At present this is the only way to see an improvement.

Determining the cause would require a thorough history looking for risk factors such as smoking and alcohol use, presence of jaundice, change in colour of stool or urine (this can occur in some types of liver disease), medications, symptoms of heart disease.

Please feel free to ask any other questions