What should I do to reduce cholesterol level and other lipid profile parametres?

Hi Sir. Recently I got tested by Lipid profile. To my surprise the numbers are on higher side. Coul you please suggest what should i do to reduce the cholestrol level and other lipid profile parameters
Posted Mon, 23 Dec 2013 in Cholesterol
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Life Style Changes / at times Drugs Detailed Answer: Hi friend, Welcome to Health Care Magic There are subdivisions of cholesterol – LDL, HDL, non-HDL and so on. LDL (& non-HDL) is bad cholesterol – lower, the better. HDL is good cholesterol – higher, the better. In the absence of any other risk factor 100 is ideal for LDL-C. In the presence of ischemia, 70 should be the aim. Keep your weight to normal / even a little less Quit smoking, if you are a smoker Do regular EXERCISE – say walking or jogging - 30 minutes a day / at least 5 days in a week. Isometric exercise (like bull worker) is bad. Healthy FOOD is a must. Avoid saturated fats – coconut oil, palm oil, butter, ghee, full cream milk...Avoid junk foods in particular – French fries have palm oil / Pizza has cheese / Indian sweets are made in ghee.../ Change to Poly-un-saturated oil – like sun flower oil. / Include Mono-un-saturated oil – Olive oil. Repeat the test in 6 weeks. Cholesterol can still be high, in spite of diet and exercise – you need drugs; Because it is also manufactured in the liver – and that is determined by heredity. Statin is the first choice. Some start it straight away – even with normal levels, even without problems (Primary Prophylaxis) Well, what are the actual numbers? Good luck Take care Wishing all well God bless