What should I do to protect my skin from sun burn?

what should i do to protect my skin from sun burns bcoz as i venture out my skin gets darker kindly suggest some remidies.
Posted Fri, 21 Sep 2012 in Sun Burn
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 7 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

First of all, the most important thing to prevent darkening of skin is to prevent constant sun exposure by using a sunscreen of SPF more than 50 if possible.
this has to be applied on all exposed parts half an hour before going out to sun and reapplied every 3 hours.
Sunscreen should be applied even on cloudy days and rainy day also.

Also physical protection like suncotes/ broad rimmed hats n caps/ gloves/ full sleeved clothes are helpful to prevent tanning.

A daily regimen of cleansing your face thrice a day, moisturizing and using sun screen is very effective. there are creams like ban a XXXXXXX which are available which have to be applied at night. they contain kojic acid and arbutine. this helps in skin colour lightening.

Avoiding venturing out during peak sun exposure times like 12noon to 4 pm is also helpful.

There are methods like chemical peels , microdermabrasion or photofacials will help you in getting rid of pigmentation.

A dermatologist can provide you these options.

hope this helps.