What should I do to increase height?

Infertility Specialist
i m getting thinner day by day ........ i eat a lot of food but nothing effects ... my height is 5'9" and my weight is just 50 kgs... i want to increase my weight .. i have tried supplements also ... but nothing worked ... i feel hungry again and again even after having my food.
please let me know wat can i do to increase my weight
i m a vegeterian

Posted Sat, 17 Nov 2012 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Biswajit Dash 2 hours later

I understand your concern. You are worried since you think are underweight.

Well, first I would like to know whether this is a familial problem. Many people have familial leanness and thinness. If so please don't worry you are normal.

Secondly, I would like to know how your bowel habits are about.
Do you have fatty diarrhea and do you experience those recently? In that case you might consult a gastroenterologist.

I would also like to know whether you have any other symptoms other than leanness and thinness that have come recently like weight loss. Presence of weight loss would be concerning and warrant a few investigation.

I wish you have proteinaceous diet like soyabean. Take protein supplements along with XXXXXXX leafy vegetables and fruits. This will make your metabolism better and your weight would improve.
You can take groundnuts, and pulses like verities of gram.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Follow-up: What should I do to increase height? 59 minutes later

thanks for your immediate response .

i would like to inform that it is not a familial problem .
My bowel habits are normal .

i don't experience diaarrhea.

what i feel is my body does not absorbs and digest the food taken by me properly.
i feel i eat a lot .. but nothing effects my body.
i have a hectic work schedule .

please suggest me some medicines or protein supplements as you mentioned in your answer.
this condition of mine is not a sudden change . i have been like this since birth.. but i have lost even more weight in last few months .

please help !!!
Answered by Dr. Biswajit Dash 40 hours later
hello sir,
Well it is great that you don't have those problems .But don't worry as in many case it may be constitutional and may not require any treatment.
Regarding protein supplements, you can ask for whey based proteins of vegetarian origin at the medicine outlets which can be taken with milk and available as a over the counter drug like Tab REVITAL. There are multiple brands available though.
Hope I answered your queries.