What should I do to get rid of anal sphincter tone?

Ok ..... over the past years "at times" I have have a anal sphincter tone is really tight - so tight that it hurts to the degree its hard to concentrate --- nagging pain (on scale of 10 ... 4 5o 5). Tt causes continual pain. This has only occurred about 8 times (seriously) in a 10 year period ... I really can't go to work (can't concentrate) and is hard to estimate when I really need to go to bathroom. At this time I have continual pain (scale 1 - 10 about 4 - but enough I can concentrate much. This time around I have major gas that builds up due to the tight anus and I have to strain a bit to let the gas come out ... then it comes out for 5 to 15 seconds it like a high pressure hose (gas primarily, some feces at time). I have hemmorids outside (not painful) and inside (doctor diagnosed and seen during colonosctropy (sp?). I have found putting vaseline on indes finger and inserting (painful -- about 6 on scale of 10) and massage this helps "for a bit". Also, hot bath soaks of 30 mins take pain away but once I get out of tub ... it comes back in about 15 mins. This time around I have "lose feces" not running .. kinda like spraying dry wall or something if you get the drift .. very smelling and burns after each session. I have to strain to get it "out" and there is lots of accompany gas (first time for this) -- no blood. I shower and clean up , burning goes away, anus hurts (the tightening its doing). I vaseline on the outside (to keep moisturize) then do the "finger in the Anus" with vaseline. But in the end hard to sleep, hard to concentrate .... simpy have one hella "tight asshole" (not joking). Oh .... my urine passing is slow during these time and always after bowel movement ... I stand up and wait about a second and always finish with a urine passing (small 10 seconds or so). Feels good, but takes time.
Posted Sun, 23 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 5 hours later

Thanks for writing in.
As per your history, main concern is anal tone which is increased is likely due to presence of hemorrhoids, may be appearance of new anal fissure [most likely]. Any lesion in or around anus causes spasm of muscles in that area leading to increased tone of anal sphincter.

We can help to relieve symptoms by reducing gas trouble and malabsorption/indigestion which can be culprit for gas. Instead of Vaseline, you better apply creams with xylocaine which help to relieve pain.

Stool softner like cremaffin syrup help this condition. I would recommend you to get hemorrhoids treated first which is main culprit here. Treatment options are band ligation or hemorrhoidectomy. So consult surgeon as soon as possible.

I hope I have answered your query. In case of any doubt, please feel free to revert back.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam