Ask a Dentist   »  

What should I do if my child's gums are bleeding and smelly?

My 17 month old baby is not eating for over two days, crying and when I was giving his bath he started to cry even more when brushing his teeth . I noticed his gums were bleeding and they were smelly. What should I do ?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. R.V.Sirisha Rani 1 hour later
Hi Gosia,

Your child seems to develop vitamin deficiency especially vitamin C. So he might have developed gum bleeding & also gums seems to be infected. Due to the pain of infection he might not be taking feeds.

You need to consult Dentist so that appropriate medication can be given.

Meanwhile you can give him semisolid and liquid diet and fresh fruit juices like orange juice, lemon juice are helpful.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wish your child early recovery.
Follow-up: What should I do if my child's gums are bleeding and smelly? 9 hours later
I absolutely do not agree with your diagnoze. Its just impossible that he would have a deficiency of any viatmin for a simple fact that my child is eating very healthy and everything is made at home. That kind of infection must be the effect of an antibiotic that he was taking for the past 10 days or maybe some other virus . I have also noticed that he has asmall white spots inside his mouth and I do believe that could cause a pain.Please advise
Answered by Dr. R.V.Sirisha Rani 18 hours later
Hi Gosia,

Thanks for the follow up.

If the nutrition has been good, I agree with you that vitamin deficiency may be unlikely. However the possibility of infection like nasopharyngeal or oral infections can't be ruled out. Antibiotics can cause gingivitis, stomatitis which can present with painful white ulcers.

Oral injuries due to a recent fall can also produce similar symptoms- Did your child have history of falls in the recent past?

Hence, I encourage you to consult your Primary doctor for physical examination and appropriate treatment.

Hope I answered your query.