What should I do if I have taken an overdose of Verapamil?

ENT Specialist
I take 360 mg of Verapamil for high blood pressure. I forgot to take my dose last night so I took it this morning at 9am and to get back on I just took another one at midnight. Now I'm worried that I took too much. What should I do?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 39 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

First of all let me tell you about this drug.

Verapamil belongs to a group of drugs called Calcium channel blockers. It acts by relaxing the muscles of your heart and blood vessels.

Verapamil is used to treat Hypertension (high blood pressure), Angina (chest pain), and certain heart Rhythm disorders. In all the 3 conditions the dose differs.

You are taking 360 mg daily.

The maximum dose of Verapamil in adults is 480 mg in 24 hours but you have taken 720 mg in the last 24 hours.

This will lead to gradual decrease of your blood Pressure in next 6 hours, and you might encounter the following symptoms in this 6 hours duration like lethary, light headedness, nausea.

What can be done regarding this is as under:

2. Get your Blood pressure checked at least once in this period.

3. Take plenty of fluids,a bit salty.( iT IS NOT A SERIOUS MISTAKE FROM YOUR SIDE)

Hope this will help you.

I will be available for your follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: What should I do if I have taken an overdose of Verapamil? 26 minutes later
Thank you so much for your help.
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 1 hour later
Hi again,

Its my pleasure, I am always here to help you out.