What should I do if I have numbness in legs?

General Surgeon
Hello, I am 26 years old Girl. I was fit and fine one day suddenly I felt numbness in both the legs from toe to hip. Now it is continuing since last 20 days. I have got done all the tests including nerve conduction velocity test, all came normal. My Vit. B12 was 246, so doctor suspected may be because of this. I had 7 vit. B12 injections but have no sign of improvement. Can u plz suggest what to do next and what might be the reason. Thanks alot.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 4 hours later

Sudden unexplained numbness in both the legs can be due Nerve entrapment & peripheral neuropathy. It may be associated with pain, tingling & even burning sensations.
Nerve entrapment can be due to many diseases like swelling in joints, prolapsed inter-vertebral discs. Peripheral neuropathy is a neurological condition which presents with tingling and numbness of the limbs along with muscle weakness and bone degeneration in prolonged cases.

Buergers disease although more common in males may also present in females causing numbness in both the legs. Few investigations like MRI of spine to rule out nerve entrapment and Doppler study for vessels of both limbs would help in diagnosing the cause. It would be better to get examined by a experienced neurologist and to get the required investigations done. Continue the treatment you are already on.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.

Wish you a Good Health.