What should I do if I am unable to maintain balance?

I feel like i am about to fall out when i stand or sit and i feel tingles in my lower lip on the left side.what should i do? i am a 30year old female.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 39 minutes later

Being unable to maintain your balance and feeling dizzy whenever you stand or sit may be associated with many reasons which need to be ruled out one by one-

1. Abnormal position of the neck- avoid using a pillow for a few days and see if it improves.
2. Inner ear problems- due to inflammation / infection or miniere's disease- Can be ruled out on examination by a specialist.
3. Stroke. This can be ruled out by your general physician after looking for all the risk factors.
4. Cervical spondylosis- usually associated with pain in the neck.
5. Metabolic conditions such as hyponatremia

You need to rule out the above conditions. I encourage you to consult your primary physician to rule these possible conditions out.

Tingling sensation in your lower lip may or may not be related to the imbalance. You can take vitamin B complex and methylcobalamin supplements while you wait to consult your physician.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.