What should I do for the persistent joints pain even after treatment for chikungunya ?

Question
i was sufferring from chikun guniea from 4th aug to 11th aug now i am ok but still there is sometime pain in joints and also feeling weekness what should i do?
Age 35 ht 174cm wt 76kg
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 17 minutes later
Hello.

Chikungunya fever is most commonly manifested by joint pains and joint swellings and usually it take 10-15 days for the symptoms to subside even after treatment.

The feeling of weakness takes 3-4 weeks to disappear completely that too with the help of a nutritious diet and a good night's sleep.

After the disease is over, almost 90% patients complain of persisting joint symptoms like arthralgia, stiffness in the joints and joint swelling. The residual joint pain or stiffness may persist for upto 6 months after the onset of the infection.

The most affected joints in the chronic phase are the interphalangeal joints, the wrist joint and the ankle joint.

For treatment, you can take a mild pain killer like ibuprofen and do hot fomentation.

You can also apply a local analgesic gel like volini for pain relief. If the symptoms persist for longer then you need to consult an orthopedician to rule out rheumatoid arthritis.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.
Regards.

Follow-up: What should I do for the persistent joints pain even after treatment for chikungunya ? 3 hours later
many have suggested not to take any pain killers Is it valid for the tablet Volitra P

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Thanks for writing again.

There is no harm in taking Tab. Volitra P and other such pain killers for symptomatic relief. Hot fomentation twice daily also will help you to a large extent.

Wishing you an early recovery.

Regards.

Follow-up: What should I do for the persistent joints pain even after treatment for chikungunya ? 18 hours later
what with hot fomentation?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 26 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for the follow up.

You can do a hot fomentation with a heating pad or using a hot water bottle or bag. This gives relief in pain and inflammation and reduces joint stiffness.

Regards.