Ask a Dentist   »  

What should I do for recurrent mouth ulcers?

General Surgeon
Every time i will get mouth ulcers, what i have to do for this?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Swapnendu Sekhar Ghosh 55 minutes later

Recurrent mouth ulcer commonly occurs due vitamin deficiency in body.

Besides taking care for oral hygiene, you should have a balanced healthy diet that contains plenty of vegetables including leafy vegetables, fruits, cereals, proteins, etc. Regular exercise and healthy diet increase the immunity of body and prevent mouth ulcers.

In addition, a dental check up may be needed if frequent tongue biting occurs causing ulcers.

Sometimes recurrent gastrointestinal disorder may lead to damage to intestinal flora resulting in vitamin deficiency causing recurrent mouth ulcer. I encourage you to visit your physician for detailed examination to rule out other associated gastrointestinal disorder / infection.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any other concern.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: What should I do for recurrent mouth ulcers? 21 minutes later
i have contacted to the doctor and even dentist about this issue but every time when i visit there they will give some tablets and injections, it will not come for 1 week but after 1 week when finish all tablets again it will come. please provide me permanent solution and kindly mention what i need to do. don't tell eat vegetables and helthy food.
Answered by Dr. Swapnendu Sekhar Ghosh 13 hours later
Hi and thanks again,

Recurrent mouth ulcers as mentioned in my previous reply could be due to nutritional deficiency. Hence it is important to correct the deficiency by means of plenty of fruits and vegetables to prevent recurrence. All medication have some side effects, hence it is not wise to take tablets and injections; we have to depend on natural sources by taking healthy diets and regular exercises.

Least you can do is to take curd regularly as natural source of lactobacillus that will in turn help you maintain nutritional status and avoid mouth ulcers.

You may also take vitamin supplements for a few weeks.

In this instant, it is also important to discuss with your doctor and rule out other systemic cause as mentioned in my earlier reply.

Hope it is clear to you. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Wish you good health.