What should I do for fluctuating blood pressure?

I usually have a very low blood pressure reading. Surprisingly, eversince my husband passed away for whom I cry everyday, my blood pressure goes up to 156/86 and my eye pressure also is a bit elevated. Could this be caused by my present emotional state or isn't there a link.
Posted Sun, 11 Nov 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

There is a tremendous mind body connection in our system. The severe emotional stress that you are experiencing could certainly explain the fluctuation in your blood pressure.

The loss of the spouse is about as stressful a situation as a human being can experience. In your case I think there is a direct connection which is causing your blood pressure to be elevated. It very likely also explains the issues you're having with your eyes.

I would suggest that you discuss this with your medication for a brief period of time while you continue to grieve.

I do not think you're dealing with any type of XXXXXXX situation but I do think it is something you should discuss with your doctor.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional concerns.

Dr. Robert