What should I do for a small sensitive growth near my clitoris ?

hi i am having a small outgrowth near my clitoris which is sensitive and sometimes a little painful if touched... should i be worried? what should I do
height:5foot 3inches
weight: 55kg
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Women Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 31 minutes later
A small outgrowth near the clitoris which is sensitive and painful can be due to many reasons.The most common reasons can be-
1. Folliculitis - due to an infected hair follicle. Usually has pus inside and needs an antibiotic and anti inflammatory drug for treatment.
2. Sebaceous cyst- due to a blocked sebaceous gland. The secretions start collecting inside and becomes painful. Needs to be surgically removed if infected.
3. Genital warts- due to a viral infection. Some of the simple tests carried out by your gynaecologist will confirm the diagnosis.
A thorough examination is a must for proper diagnosis and treatment.
Till then you can take general cleanliness measures to avoid any infection in that area.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.
Follow-up: What should I do for a small sensitive growth near my clitoris ? 2 hours later
all the above reasons don't seem apt.... the growth has been slow and constant over the years... i do not remember when it actually started but its been some years now... yesterday i experienced incresed sensitivity on it. It is not a puss boil or hair follicle problem as hair does not grow in that region. it is on the inner side of clitoris lip. Do you think I shold go for a check up? I live in a small village where i don't have much of medical facility. I am a teacher and not married yet.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.

If it is just a small nodule that has been there for years then it might be a small blocked non infected sebaceous cyst or an epidermal wart like growth. If it is not growing or much painful then you may let it remain as it is.

If it is increasing in size or redness or inflamed then you may need to consult a gynaecologist for proper examination and diagnosis.

You will also need take vaccinations for cervical carcinoma.It is necessary for all women aged between 9 to 40.

Hope my answer is helpful.

Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.