What should I do for a burn from hot microwaved water?

What should I do for a burn from hot microwaved water
Posted Tue, 22 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
run cool water for 20 minutes

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

As soon as possible after the burn you would need to : (1) cool the area by running water over it for about 20 minutes
(2) a cool compress can be used to reduce the temperature
Do not apply ice or ice slush to the area
(3) consider the use of a pain killer to reduce the pain that can be associated with a burn

Burns are graded according to the total surface area of the body involved and the thickness of the wound.
The treatment varies according to this classification.

A blister may form within 24 hours of your burn. These are considered to be protective in most cases and should be left for at least a few days. The exception would be if the area appears infected, if an ointment with silver is to be used or if a large area is involved.

Some of the creams you should consider obtaining to apply are: silver sulfadiazine- this has anti bacterial properties
(2)silver nitrate- also has antibacterial properties

If there is no significant blister or other changes then it can be left, the above are used if these is a significant wound or blister.
In general the area should be kept clean to reduce the chance of infection. This can be done by daily cleaning of the area with XXXXXXX warm tap water and mild soap.

If a dressing is necessary then it should be changed daily to avoid infection.

If the burn is extensive then you may want to consider visiting your doctor.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions