What should I do after taking small amount of drain cleaner into my mouth?

I have mistakenly taken a small amount of drain cleaner into my mouth, i have flushed with water, but still in pain, i am worried my throat may swell a little
Posted Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Flush with plenty of water Detailed Answer: Hi, Since it is a small amount, you may flush with plenty of water. Also drink cold liquids(milk/milk shakes). Did you swallow the cleaner? How long was the contact? Is it corrosive? Do you have burning? Analgesics(paracetamol or acetaminophen) can be taken if there is pain. Although there might be some discomfort this will subside gradually by the end of the day. It appears as if there can be swelling but this is very minimal most of the times, it's just a feeling. Do not panic you will be absolutely normal. Please feel free to keep me posted. Thanks.
Follow-up: What should I do after taking small amount of drain cleaner into my mouth? 2 hours later
Thank you for your feed back. At present I still find swallowing difficult, and it hurts to talk, will this subside reasonably quickly? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Praveen 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Consult a dentist if its too painful Detailed Answer: I suggest you to consult a dentist if it's painful(even after taking analgesics).Topical anesthetic (like benzocaine gel) will surely help if there is any ulceration. Hope this helps.