What should I do I my throat hurts and it is painful to swallow?

my throats hurts, its hurts to swallow, I Nyquil and eating cough drops, but no good.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 28 minutes later

Throat pain may be because of Pharyngitis, tonsillitis or as a part of Gastro-Esophageal Reflux Disease (GERD).
In Pharyngitis, you will also have cold, cough, fever as associate symptoms.

In GERD, you will have acidity, belching, Heaviness in stomach area, sour taste in mouth as associate symptoms (Symptoms of Acid-Peptic Disease).

In Pharyngitis you may take Paracetamol and Cough drops as initial medical treatment. Add Paracetamol (Acetoaminophen) as you are already taking Cough drops. Warm saline gargles for 3 to 4 times a day will reduce inflamation and throat pain.It also increases blood supply and fights infections.

In GERD, you may take take a combination PROTON PUMP INHIBITOR (Rabeprazole) with a pro-kinetic (Domperidone). Also take a B-COMPLEX tablet after lunch and plain FOLIC ACID after dinner. Discuss these options with your doctor.

Cut down on oily and spicy food
Do not drink water for an hour after major meals.
Do not lie down for one hour after major meals.
Eat food at regular timings.
Avoid coffee, tea , smoking and alcohol.

You can visit an ENT specialist for an examination of the throat for pharyngitis, tonsillitis or any other hidden cause.

Hope this answers your query.I am available for follow ups as well.