What should I apply to a rash on my son's scrotum?

My 9 year old son is complaining of pain and itchiness(more pain), in his balls-I took a look and he has a rash on the left side, it is extremely dry-I placed desitin on it but he is screaming that it hurts worse-what should I do?
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 48 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

It is more than likely that the rash you see on your sons scrotum is a mild fungal infection. This can be somewhat tender at times as well. I recommend you apply clotrimazole cream to this area three times per day for the next 3 to 5 days. You might also apply some corn starch based powder to the area as well to keep the moisture level low. Clotrimazole is available over the counter at your local pharmacy.

I hope this answer has provided you with the information you were seeking. Should you have additional concerns regarding this I am available to address them.

Dr Galamaga
Follow-up: What should I apply to a rash on my son's scrotum? 11 minutes later
Jst one more question, how do we prevent this from happening again and why has he never had this before but is now getting it at this age?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the followup.

As far as prevention - using the powder is honestly the best way to prevent - corn starch based or something like gold bond powder are good choices. Warmer months put us at higher risk for this mainly due to heat and perspiration in that area. Finally, good hygiene is always helpful - showering and adequately cleansing the groin will keep the skin healthy and also - after showering it is important to dry the skin as well as possible prior to putting on clothes. This again keeps any excess moisture from getting trapped in the clothing and setting up an environment which promotes this type of thing.

Again I hope this was helpful information for you and I wish you and your family continued excellent health in the future.

Dr. Galamaga