What s the normal age for first menstruation?

Mar 2016

hi. what's the normal age for first mensutration? I got my first one a week before my 12th birthday so I was 11 years old. did I get it early? I've heard that the average age differs in different countries. I was born in iran and lived there for almost 13 years before I moved to Canada with my parents. did I get my first mensturation early? i'm asking cause maybe this is why i'm having so much irregular periods and hormone imbalance.
Posted Fri, 18 Oct 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. S Patra 8 days later
Brief Answer:
Normal age of first period is 11 -14 years.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comments to your query:

1) First menstrual cycle is called menarche in medical term. The average age of menarche is 11 to 14 years, but it can be as early as 8 years and as late as 16 years and still be normal.

2) At 11 years old, getting first period is absolute normal in your case. Age of menarche may vary according to country but most girls get their first period within 11 to 14 years old. So, don't be worried.

3) First 1 to 2 years after menarche and sometimes more, period cycle becomes irregular due to anovulation. It is quite physiological.

However, long time irregular period has several reasons like ovarian cyst or PCOS, thyroid disturbances (like goiter, sub acute thyroiditis etc), autoimmune disease ( like psoriasis etc), mental stress/ depression, over weight, impaired ovarian reserve, irregular diet habit, pelvic infection etc.

Kindly, consult with your gynecologist for overall health check up and undergo relevant investigations like ultrasound scan, hormone tests etc to narrow down the underlying causes. It will help to make a concrete diagnosis.

Hormonal medication is required to correct imbalance and get regular period. You would maintain a healthy life style.

Hope, above information is quite helpful to you. Let me know, if you need any clarification.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through
Follow-up: What s the normal age for first menstruation? 40 hours later
what are hormonal medications? birth control pills?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Combined birth control pills are ideal choice.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up query.

HRT) is the best treatment protocol to eliminate hormonal imbalance and restore reproductive function. It also helps to regularize period.

Birth control pills (combined ethinyl estradiol and progesterone) are the ideal choice at your age. Along with, you would maintain a healthy life style.

Alternatively, you can take phytoestrogen like isoflavone (plant based estrogen) instead of steroidal estrogen to avoid side effects. It will be effective with progesterone supplement. In addition, you can take soy, beans, peas, lentils, whole grains, rye, millet etc which contain plant estrogen.

Hope, I have answered your query. Kindly, close the discussion in case of not having other query.

All the best. Good luck.

Dr Soumen