What quantity of lactogen should I give to a 1 month child?

Hi, I have a baby. he completed one month 5 days. I used to give breast milk only, but even after feeding for half an hour, he is still crying.Even if i continue he is not sucking or keep his mouth and start crying. I started give some amount of lactogen. May I the quantity for lactogen should i give and how many times a day should i give. or after every breast feed should I give some amount of lactogen. Please suggest me on this. Also to get more breast milk. He is stil 2.75 kg. Bit worried about it
Posted Thu, 6 Dec 2012 in Parenting
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 1 hour later

The normal weight gain by the baby is 1 Oz (0.0000 Kg) per day for 300 days. If your baby is 36 days old he will gain approximately 1.02 Kg. If you add his birth weight to 1.02 Kg, you will get his expected body weight. If the baby is below the expected bodyweight, he is not having enough nutrition. Breast milk is excellent for the baby in quality but may not be in quantity. In that case he should have supplementary feeding.

The best idea to feed a baby is by feeding as much as he wants (Demand feeding). This is around 150 to 200 millilitre/Kg of expected body weight. Baby may also cry due to other causes like oral thrush, which can give considerable discomfort to the baby during feeding. So please take the baby to your paediatrician for checkup. To increase the breast milk secretion, you may discuss that with your paediatrician.

Hope I have answered your queries. If you have any other questions I will be available to answer them.

Kindest regards

PS: You can feed the baby 4 to 6 times breast milk as well.