What procedure helps diagnose ADHD?

May 2014

What all does a adhd screening entail. If I don't have a doctor, is that okay. What procedure will help a doctor to diagnose adhd, and do doctors like to be told what to test for, like if I go into the doctors and tell them I think I have adhd will they be upset I have diagnosed myself?
Posted Sat, 21 Dec 2013 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for writing in to us. I have read through your query in detail. ADHD is a diagnosis made after considering various inclusions and exclusions in a patient. All suspected cases of ADHD in adults might not be ADHD on further evaluation. We have the international diagnostic manual for mental health released regularly which classifies many conditions including anxiety disorders, mood disorders, adjustment disorders, learning and language deficits, and psychotic disorders in addition to ADHD. It is difficult to diagnose ADHD without going through the proper tests especially in adults. Other conditions such as a developmental disorder, seizures, a thyroid disorder, lead poisoning or low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) can present with features similar to ADHD. Alcohol or drug abuse and certain medications can cause ADHD-like symptoms. As per criteria developed by the American Psychiatry Association, you must have at least six or more signs and symptoms grouped under categories (i) inattention and (ii) hyperactivity and impulsivity. It is essential to consult a doctor to get your suspected diagnosis confirmed. Your doctor may give you a questionnaire elaborating a list of signs and symptoms to help you give more specific symptoms that you may have. A careful examination often follows the impact of your symptoms on your current life including work, relationships and social activities. You can suggest to your doctor that you have read up online and suspect that you may be having the symptoms. No doctor should be upset if a patient wants help to diagnose their condition. Just keep in mind that there are few other similar conditions which might share some of the symptoms of ADHD. Hope your query is answered. Do write back in you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek