What precautions should be taken to prevent Septicemia and flesh eating disease?

Three and a half years ago I contacted Flesh Eating Disease, which proved disastrous to me as I had to have my left leg amputated above the knee in order to save my life. I have adapted quite well, and take 2 large Weimaraner dogs for a walk when weather permits. I hook them up to my electric wheel chair and away I go. I have been in \Hospital 3 times since with Septicemia, usually caused by an infection in my body. Is there any way of preventing this from happening again?
Posted Tue, 24 Dec 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: List of precautions for necrotizing fasciitis Detailed Answer: Hello sir/ma'am and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. I am sorry to hear about the events in the past, and would like to say that I really admire your will and optimistic approach. God bless you. As for prevention of necrotizing fasciitis (i.e. flesh eating disease), the disease in itself is caused by infections of any kind. As you have also mentioned in your query, you have been hospitalized for septicemia almost 3 times in the near past; which means that you are either exposed to infections (due to surroundings) or have a lower immunity. Let us concentrate on both these aspects, and I shall list a few of the precautions you can take: -Clean hands regularly -Take a bath regularly to keep yourself and your body clean -Keep the amputated region clean and dry -Wear clean clothes -Regularly check/inspect your body for cuts or wounds through which infection-causing organisms can enter -Keep yourself warm always (as cold climate can affect immunity) -Regularly check your blood sugar levels (to rule out diabetes which has poor healing and makes individuals susceptible to infections) -Check on liver and associated conditions -Best to reduce or avoid sea food which may contain a vibrio bacteria that more often than not causes necrotizing fasciitis -Avoid contact with seawater (which may also contain this bacteria) -Report to your doctor as soon as you even suspect a possible wound or cut that may get infected I hope you found my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes and god bless you sir/ma'am.