What precautions should be taken to avoid common cold?

I had those symptoms: fever 37-37.7celsiuis for 3-4 days, runny nose and not very sore throat and very little cough,was it flu or cold now 7 has passed, can i get repeated flu, What should i do to avoid that?
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 3 hours later
Brief Answer: You are suffering from common cold Detailed Answer: Hi young lady, Thanks for your query. You are apparently suffering from Common cold. There are more than 200 different types of viruses which can cause common cold, the commonest being a virus called Rhinovirus. When you suffer from common cold by a particular virus, immunity develops against that particular strain of virus. Therefore, you will not get another attack if you again encounter that exact strain of the virus. But a repeat cold can occur due to attack by a different strain. You can catch common cold from another person who is infected with the virus. This can happen when you come into contact with secretions sneezed into the air by an infected person. You can also catch a cold by touching a surface contaminated with cold germs, for example, a computer keyboard, doorknob, or eating utensil, and then touching your nose or mouth. You can therefore avoid getting another infection by taking due precautions against modes of virus transmission. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Take care, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal
Follow-up: What precautions should be taken to avoid common cold? 6 minutes later
Thank you for your detailed answer, in addition can you advice, how can i tell if i am still infective after 7 days of illnessand for how many days?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: You will be non-infective when secretions stop Detailed Answer: Common cold usually lasts for 7-10 days. A person remains infective as long as he continues to produce secretions, such as, running nose or sputum which are the main sources of transmission of infection. Take care