What precautions should be taken for low lying placenta?

Mar 2016

I am 20 weeks pregnant & today I have done with my usg & doctor told me that I have low placenta so what precaution I have to take? Thank you. XXXX
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for writing to us. First of all, low lying placenta is seen in some percentage of women at 16 to 20 weeks through ultrasound scan but you need to take special care to avoid risk and complication in the later months. Placenta moves upwards over the time or during 3rd trimester in most cases. As uterus enlarges, the lower part of the uterus also grows & stretches, taking the placenta with it to move upwards. Though, in 0.5% of cases, the placenta doesn’t move up with the uterus and antepartum hemorrhage (like placenta previa) may develop in late 3rd trimester with related risk to baby. It can't be predicted whether it moves upwards or not but at this stage, you will maintain all precautionary measures to avoid vaginal bleeding and preterm labor. In this circumstance, close monitoring and adequate bed rest is required. Here, I suggest you to undergo next ultrasound scan around 30-32 weeks to check the placental status and fetal well being. Kindly, consult with your Obstetrician regarding this. Precautionary measures: You would take healthy protein rich diet with more green vegetables, drink more water (2.5 to 3 lit/ day) for better systemic and feto-placental circulation, take adequate bed rest on left lateral position. You need to avoid heavy work, too much bending, lifting heavy objects, uneven surface, high heal shoe, more ups & downs, long journey and sexual intercourse. Hope, I have answered your query. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query. Wish your good health and successful motherhood. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through WWW.WWWW.WW
Follow-up: What precautions should be taken for low lying placenta? 9 hours later
can I do walk or which exercises I can do?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer: YOU CAN WALK FOR SHORT DISTANCE. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for follow up query. You can walk for short distance but exercise is NOT recommended in this condition. Take adequate bed rest and do periodic check up to your doctor. Hope, it helps for your information. Kindly, close the discussion. All the best and good luck. Regards, Dr Soumen