What precautions should be taken for ESBL?

i had an encapsulted abcess that was near the vaginal cuff . It was opened up to drain on 11/1/13 . A culture was done and it came back with Klebsiella pneumoniae, unusual carbapenem ,moderate actinonomyces enterococcus faecalis. I'm told that some of these are ESBL. I had surgery to remove the abcess and repair the hole to the vaginal cuff , 2 holes in my rectal stump and remove a fistula ( i have a colostomy now) . How careful to I have to be about this ESBL. I have a handicap son that I take care of and XXXXXXX want him to get it . Also should I be on antiboitics. I also heard that some of these bacterias could cause fistulas. Thanks Patti Field YYYY@YYYY
Posted Tue, 4 Feb 2014 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 58 minutes later
Brief Answer: Suggestions made Detailed Answer: Hi, welcome to our site. I am Dr Saumya Mittal. Read your query. That is a very significant question and i appreciate your problem. I will try my best to answer your query From your query, I gather that the problem is now one year old and the infection was detected at that time (Jan, 13). From the query, I also collect that you have not had any problems like fever etc since your surgery and abscess removal. Usually the protocol says that in the post operative period, you must have been treated with antibiotics, usually the same as in the sensitivity test. I will therefore assume that you were treated off the organism when you were discharged from the hospital, and as such I would suggest you need not worry if you have no symptoms. You can probably get a complete blood count and blood cultures. Radioimaging for the abdomen to rule out any fresh abscess is also a good idea. I hope this helps you. Inform the reports mentioned above so i can be of help further. Best of luck. I have given you the answer to the maximum considering the information provided. The results of the tests could further enhance my answer to you. Please do understand that some details could be extracted from a detailed history and examination. Looking forward to your return query with the details asked so that I can help you further. (If the answer has helped you, please indicate this)