What precaustions should be taken for healthy baby after being tested positive for Ureaplasma?

Hello, I am 38 months pregnant and my husband and I were very excited about having a natural birth for our baby. Just a couple of hours ago we received the results of a vaginal exudate for mycoplasma (PPLO) I had taken on November 28th. This was only a precaution since all of our analysis during my entire pregnancy have shown that everything was fine, but this particular one gave a positive of Ureaplasma urealyticum after 15 days of incubation. Our gynecologist didn't even prescribe this study, the lab offered it to me and I accepted just to be extra sure everything was fine. I just spoke with my doctor and this is what she said: 1. That starting right now I need to take one 500mg tab of azithromycin for four days and my husband should take two tonight and another two tomorrow; 2. That I need a c-section because there is not enough time to make sure that the medicine got rid of the bacteria before my baby is born, and if the bacteria is there, there is a 60% chance that my baby can get neumonia at birth. My husband and I are scared and broken down by the news. I just realized I wrote 38 months instead of 38 weeks pregnant. I'm sorry for that mistake, I'm just too nervous. Please help us. Thank you
Posted Sun, 29 Dec 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Brief answer....although sounds worrisome but there is nothing to worry. Detailed answer.... Hello, Thanks for the query. Let me first explain you about this problem and then I will address your concerns. Ureaplasma urealyticum is a bacterial infection which is found in the cervix or vagina of women. This is basically a sexually transmitted disease and has been transmitted to you by sexual intercourse by your husband,but it doesn't mean that your husband has been cheating on you. This infection can be naturally present in the prostate gland of the male and remain there undetected for many years.So there is nothing to become suspicious and doubtful about your husband. This infection can cause meningitis as well as pneumonia in the child and so it is best for you to go for Caesarian section for delivery.The best thing about this infection is that it is an easily treatable infection and both partners are treated simultaneously. A repeat test is done after two weeks of finishing the antibiotic course. In case infection is still there,then repeat treatment with a different antibiotic is done. Now coming to your concerns.. 1.... Take the antibiotic course as advised by your doctor. 2... As explained above,since there are chances of infection to your child by normal delivery,hence best is to go for Caesarian section delivery. At the end I would say that there is absolutely nothing to worry and there is no need to think that your world has crashed down. I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query. Best of luck to both of you and enjoy the arrival of a new beautiful soul in your life,without worrying anything. Thanks
Follow-up: What precaustions should be taken for healthy baby after being tested positive for Ureaplasma? 34 minutes later
Thank you so much for your clear explanation. It has really brought us some very needed peace of mind. The three of us deeply appreciate your reply, the care and the time you have put into it. Thank you so much, we feel better now.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 minutes later
Hello, You are most welcome to ask any query anytime. Thanks