What percentage of successful pregnancies where hcg in the first trimester is not properly detected?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Excellent
Question
What percentage of successful pregnancies do not detect proper hcg for the first months of pregnancy?
Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 minute later
Hi XXXXXXX
B HCG is a most reliable indicator for detecting a pregnancy.
It is much more reliable than a urine pregnancy test and more than 99 % sensitive for detecting a pregnancy.
All the best.

Follow-up: What percentage of successful pregnancies where hcg in the first trimester is not properly detected? 4 minutes later
That is not what i asked

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
DETAILED BELOW

Detailed Answer:
In less than 1 % of cases, would it occur that the pregnancy is successful and going on for a few months, and the B HCG fails to properly show the appropriate raised value.
Please let me know if there was anything else that you meant to ask.
I would be glad to assist you.
Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Follow-up: What percentage of successful pregnancies where hcg in the first trimester is not properly detected? 2 hours later
If i had a chemical pregnancy where spotting / light bleeding started in 9/17/13 could i have fotten pregnant in 9/28 or 9/2?

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
PLEASE PROVIDE FURTHER INFORMATION.

Detailed Answer:
Please let me know the dates of your last menstrual period in sequence.
Also, let me know the date when your B HCG test was taken, and the exact values , since you have mentioned a chemical pregnancy, there would have to be atleast two separate readings taken .
Also, any pelvic ultrasounds / HPT s if done.
Please provide me with this information, so I can tell you about the possible date of conception.

Follow-up: What percentage of successful pregnancies where hcg in the first trimester is not properly detected? 3 hours later
Unknown Lmp. 10 pos hpt: Chem preg 9/17: hcg(9)maroon bleed/ brown spotting 4 days/ 9/17 hcg(16)/ 9/19 levothyroxine 75 mg/ 9/25 prometrium100 mg x 2 / bloods come back for 9/23
hcg(0) unprotected sex on 9/28 could i be pregnant again???

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
DETAILED BELOW

Detailed Answer:
You did have a chemical pregnancy indeed .
However, as the last B HCG on 23rd of September was 0, that pregnancy was over by then.
The bleeding / spotting was probably your period as a result of the earlier pregnancy ending.
You had unprotected sex on 28th of September.
The earliest you would know if you are pregnant again, as a result of the encounter on 28th september, is ATLEAST 2 weeks after this.
A repeat B HCG done after 2 weeks, or a urine pregnancy test done 4 weeks afterwards, would show if a pregnancy resulted or not.
Hope this clarifies things.

Pic one july 30 : pic 2 oct 3: pic 3 oct 4 : pic 4 9/8 , 9/11, 9/15

Why am i getting bigger when i suppossedlu zeroes out hcgalready

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
PELVIC + ABDOMINAL ULTRASOUND RECOMMENDED.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
With a zero B HCG value, you are most definitely not pregnant.
In my practice so far, I have yet to come across a patient with a B HCG value of zero, who is pregnant, unless the laboratory is disastrously erroneously wrong.
And then you would be suing them for sure.
However, I can see in the pictures that you are definitely getting bigger.
As your LMP is uncertain XXXXXXX may I request you to undergo an ultrasound scan.
That would reveal any pregnancy ( which is impossible with zero B HCG values ) or any other reason for the distension of your abdomen.