What pain management can I do for pain in shoulder?

I have just stated a new job and am very busy, but today i feel sick, shakey,and have a pain in my shoulder and side.why is this and what can i do to make it go away.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 1 hour later
Hello Taparratt,

From the history provided, it seems that you might be having stress and anxiety induced symptoms.

You might consider to take it slow and take time to relax and breathe for a few minutes.

Here are a few tips to help you relax and reduce your pain.

When you find some free time, do XXXXXXX Breathing exercises that will help you calm down:
1. First push your stomach outward.
2. Take a slow, XXXXXXX breath through your nose. Try to fill your lungs from the bottom up.
3. Pause, and then exhale slowly.

Do this a couple of times and you'll feel much better.

Slow, XXXXXXX breathing is the easiest and most effective method for calming yourself.

In case of persisting pain, application of ice packs for about 1-15 minutes, or a NSAID like ibuprofen or ASPIRIN will help to relieve the pain. Taking a nap for 15 minutes will also do wonders and make you refreshed.

Hope I have answered your query.

If you have any more queries, I will be available to answer them as well.
Follow-up: What pain management can I do for pain in shoulder? 3 hours later
Hello Dr,
Thank you for your reply,
Do you think this is all that it is?
I cant understand it and I cant understand why it is happening to me please can you explain this to me.

Will this ever go away so i can do my job with being in fear that I might die?I know this sounds silly but this is how it makes me feel

Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 5 hours later
Hello Taparratt,

From the intense fear that you mention, it does seem that you might be indeed be having Panic disorder.

This is a condition in which someone has repeated attacks of intense fear that something bad will occur when not expected. The person lives in fear that another attack will occur.

Treatment of such condition requires medications that can help reduce the stress and anxiety and Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT). This treatment will help you function well during everyday life.

Medications that might of help in your case include SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) and benzodiazepines. You might need these medications for a prolonged time and they should not be stopped abruptly.

In addition, Regular physical work outs, proper sleep and dietary habits might help to control your symptoms.

You will benefit by consultation with a psychiatrist, who can take a complete history of your symptoms and stressful issues related to day to day activities and suggest steps to manage them as well as prescribe the medications that you need.

Wish you good health.