Ask a Dentist   »  

What must be done to relieve pain post wisdom tooth removal ?

I had two impacted wisdom tooth removed on friday and it turned out to be a complicated surgery. am on pain killers but it still pains and the swelling is still on and to top it all there are ulcerations in the surgery site. What should i do and how can i hasten teh healing?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 25 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX thanks for query.

Dental pains at times are very bad and problematic.After any surgery the body reacts to it and there is increase blood flow to the site of surgery.This can lead to pain and swelling that you have.

Some times after surgery like this where there was infection along with impaction the problem worsens.

The ulceration that you have might be due to local analgesic spray or injection or due to fluid used for irrigation at the time of surgery.This will heal with the time.

Drink more of fluids,continue taking soft diet.Take medicines as prescribed.You can talk to your doctor and take inject-able analgesic for couple of days,this will help in reducing pain and swelling also.

The key to fast healing is good nutritious intake that you have to take.Please also follow up with your doctor regularly.You can try hot compress from out side for relief of pain and swelling. B Complex tablets in prescribed doses also helps in faster recovery.

I hope that I have make things clear,still if you have queries I will be available for follow up.Bye and wishing you a speedy recovery.