What medicine should I take for foot pain?

foot foot is really bothering me then minutes ago my toes hurt too
Posted Wed, 5 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

I will certainly guide you regarding your problem. In order to understand your problem better, can you provide the some more details...

Can you provide your age and sex?

How long have you been having this problem?

How did it start? (suddenly or gradually?)

Do both feet hurt or just one? Which part of the foot hurts?

What kind of discomfort do you have - sharp pain / dull pain / burning sensation?

Have you had any injuries recently?

Do you suffer from any medical problems like diabetes, high blood presure, etc.

Do you smoke or consume alcohol or any other drugs?

Please get back to me with these details, so that I can advise you in a better way.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Follow-up: What medicine should I take for foot pain? 47 hours later
well it started yesterday and i am 17 f. i have been having this issue since 08 Suddenly my big toe hurts
Hello again and thanks for the clarifications.

It appears that you may be having a local inflamation which is causing the pain in the big toe. This could have happened due to some indavertent injury to your big toe. Sometimes, an ingrowing nail or and infection of the nail bed can also cause sudden onset of pain or swelling. I would suggest the following:

- Take an anti-inflamatory / analgesic medication (like Ibuprofen, which should be available over-the-counter) for 2 - 3 days.

- Give as much rest as possible to the affected foot.

- Do not massage the foot or toe area, since this can cause worsening of the inflamation.

- If the pain doesn't subside after 2-3 days, then I would advise you to have an X-ray of that foot done.

- Watch for warning signs such as swelling, redness, fever, etc. and if you develop any of these, then you should seek immediate medical attention.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar