What medicine should I take for asthma?

Allergist and Immunologist
Hi , My name is XXXXXXX.I came from India three months back and now I am in Broomfield , United States .I have asthma and I took medicine from India but it is going to finish in few days and I think it is not working so good here as it was in India. May be because of the climate change.
Posted Thu, 6 Dec 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 7 hours later

You are partly correct that the climate change is worsening your asthma control and this is more so if you have specific allergies to tree/grass/weed pollens that are specific in Broomfield, CO than those in India.

The current pollen counts for all aeroallergens (environmental) can be found on several websites, and an example is WWW.WWWW.WW where you can see the pollen forecast.
Several tree pollens are endemic to Colorado and are not in India. I suggest getting the entire list of allergens tested when you visit your allergist. This can be done with a blood test called the specific IgE test against the specific aeroallergen.

As far as your inhaler and control of asthma, you must be keeping a record of your peak flow readings and if your current peak flow is steadily dropping (morning/evening), you will have to increase the dose. Do visit your Chest Physician or asthma clinic for guidance and the usual change is increasing from 250 to 500 for 2-3 weeks. Viral induced asthma is also a possibility in your case especially after the long haul flight.

If the peak flow is <50% of your best, then you will need to visit your nearest ER.

I hope that was useful. Let me know if there are other enquiries.