What medicine can help patient calm down during C section?

May 2013
Hi I am wondering what types of medications can be used to calm you down during a c section? The last one I had may or may not have caused some breathing issues - I had mild shortness of breath after surgery and about 5 or 6 days later I experienced central sleep apnea episodes. Prior to this (10 years ago) I had a whiplash injury that caused me to have issues with my blood pressure, heart rate and breathing (in the form of central sleep apnea). I saw a chiropractor who specializes in the atlas and was fixed up for several years before I had that baby so I was surprised to have that breathing issue again (it only lasted a few days). I am 32 weeks pregnant with my 3rd baby and am very anxious and scared this will happen again. It did not happen with my first emergency c section. They gave me morphine at that time. I am not sure what they gave me the 2nd time but it was administered while I was on the table. The anesthetist said it was a "special cocktail" and that's all I know.
Posted Wed, 12 Mar 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Usually spinal anesthesia is used Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Usually spinal anesthesia is used during cesarean section. In this as primary anesthetic agents hyperbaric bupivacaine or hyperbaric lidocaine can be used. Along with these sedatives can also be used. Spinal anesthesia can lead to side effects like hypotension, headache etc. In case of high spinal blockade sometimes apnea can occur. But usually this is seen immediately after surgery. Development of central apnea after 5 to 6 days after spinal anesthesia is rare. Among the sedatives narcotics can lead to apnea. Sometimes usually mild doses of general anesthesia can be used to sedate the patients and to induce amnesia with proposal, ketamine etc . This might be told as cocktail anesthesia. If general anesthesia is used there is more possibility to develop apneic spells. So, now what can be done is: -Inform to your anesthesiologist that you are having history of central apnea. So that, they will do preoperative checkup and necessary preparation. -Prefer spinal anesthesia as per as possible. -If possible avoid sedatives and maintain with analgesics. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the response, please give your review at the end of discussion. Take care.