What medicine can be taken instead of Warfarin to avoid its side effects?

My husband was hospitalized in early February with multiple PE's in his lungs. He was put in IV Heprin for 3 days. When he was released from the hospital, he was put on Warfarin. The side effects of this drug have become unbearable for him. He experiences extreme diziness, fatigue, trouble focusing, and in general feels terrible. He gets his PT/INR checked every two weeks. Is there anyting else that he can take beside Warfarin that will not have such terrible side effects?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 hours later
Hi Pam,

Thanks for your query,

The side effects you mentioned above are very typical of Warfarin,I do consider it better for him to go for a substitute.

Dabigatran (Pradaxa)a anticoagulant from the class of the direct thrombin inhibitors is considered the best and FDA(U S Food and Drug Administration) approved substitute for Warfarin.Ask your treating doctor for the dosage schedules he knows his condition better.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.