What medicine can I take to heal the wound in my mouth and I am anemic ?

I am 41 yrs old, 5"4' , 154 pounds, female. I am anemic at the moment and I am taking 2 times a day iron.
On the side of my mouth, my lips have a big wound that I can t open my mouth properly. On both side of my lips. It is like if I open my mouth wide the wound would get the anything that I have to be concerned about it ??....What should I used it to helpe heal??...HELP!!
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 27 minutes later

It is good to know that you are taking medicines for anemia.

In presence of anemia, lip changes are commonly encountered. This is known as cheilitis, a lip inflammation. Fissuring of lips , lip infections, cracks , dryness and pale color are noticed in presence of anemia. If there is a wound , anemia may delay the healing time. Due to constant stretching of the corners of the lips while talking , eating and usual activities , the healing still gets delayed causing discomfort.

Here are a few things that you need to follow:

1. Continue the iron supplements ,remember they must be taken for at least 3 months to replenish the iron levels completely , then you need to repeat the hemoglobin test to check your hemoglobin levels.

2. Drink lots of water and fresh fruit juices, this will help in maintaining hydration.

3. Do not apply topical creams or ointment over it unless advised by a doctor , avoid rubbing the area.

4. Avoid spicy food , coffee , tea , smoking and alcohol. They will increase the wound and delay healing and lead to a burning sensation.

5.You may consider seeing a General Physician if the wound does not heal. An examination would give us a clear picture about the condition

6.I also suggest you take a good multivitamin supplement tablet, one tablet a day for three months.

7. Include a lot of XXXXXXX leafy vegetables and fruits in your diet, they contain antioxidants which help in fighting infection and early healing.

Hope this answers your query. I am available for follow ups.