Ask a Dentist   »  

What medicine can I take for toothache in the upper line ?

ENT Specialist
i am 55 yrs old male weighing 130 kg height is 6'2". for last 5 -6 days i am suffering from toothache,at first it was severe but it is less now but still there,it goes up to right eye,pain is at upper line of teeth,and i cant chew from that side,i am taking ammoxicillin tryhidrate 500 2 times a day with brufen 400.but as effect wears off pain comes back though less severe at present i m in reply asap. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 3 hours later

Thanks for the query

It is a matter of concern even a minute infection in a diabetic (presuming Metformin you are taking is for diabetes) can be really bothersome. Toothache could be because of the infection or inflammation around the tooth itself or because of maxillary sinusitis.

You need to change the antibiotic as plain Amoxycillin might not be very effective in curing a dental infection. More over you being a diabetic should be careful enough; even a simple looking infection can flare-up, if not treated adequately.

I would suggest you the following:
1. Do mouthwashes with warm saline (salt water).
2. Consult your doctor, go for a change of antibiotic
3. Get your sugar levels rechecked
4. Avoid Chewing on the affected side
5. If you have any sinusitis better to consult a good ENT specialist also.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any doubts please feel free to contact.