What medicine can I take for hypertension?

Cardiologist
Question
I AM HAVING HYPERTENSION FROM 2009 .I STARTED WITH ENVAS 5 MG
IN 0CTOBER 2009 AND REDUCED IT TO 2.5 MG IN FEB 2010 WHEN MY B P REDUCED.AGAIN IT WENT UP TO 160/110 THEN I REVERTED BACK TO
ENVAS 5 MG BUT THEN BP WAS 150/100 IN XXXXXXX 2011.THEN DOCTOR ADVICE ME AMLODIPINE 5 MG ON 28 XXXXXXX 2011.MY B P IS 120/85 BUT I AM HAVING RED RASHES ON MY COMPLETE BODY SINCE LAST TWO MONTHS I HAD SHOWN IT TO SKIN SPECIALIST BUT THEY TOLD ME IT IS AMLODIPINE 5 MG SIDE EFFECT. I AM AN ARMY OFFICER NON SMOKE NON DRINKER AND VEGETARIAN MY WEIGHT IS 767 KG HEIGHT IS 173 C.M. I AM FIT.PLZ SUGGEST ME THE ANOTHER MEDICINE .
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Gopi A 19 hours later

After going through the description provided by you, it appears that in all probability that you may be allergic to Amlodipine.

You have an option of restarting Envas and increasing the dosage till the blood pressure comes under control or else you could start on a new medicine. Being an online consultation it is inappropriate for me to start you on any medications with out doing a physical examination. It is against the law of our land. I would recommend you to see a local physician and get an alternative prescription.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.

Regards.