What medicine can I take for acid reflex and heartburn and what causes burning sensation in chest?

Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
I have a burning sensation in my chest and they say is not my heart they took blood test what can it be I take medicine for acid reflex and heartburn
Posted Thu, 2 Jan 2014 in GERD

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. It would be much easier to help you knowing your age and medical history. Generally if you are young person and have not had any heart problems before (like shortness of breath, heart palpitations, losses of consciousness), chest pain caused by ischemic heart disease is hardly possible. Typical heart pain is left lower chest pain (burning and squeezing) radiating to the left arm and/or jaw. Fear of death, sweating, weakness usually appears. Acid reflux can cause chest burning (it is called heartburn). Due to increased stomach acid amount in the esophagus, you get such symptoms. The pain does not radiate. It usually appears after meals and during the night. Chestburning can be triggered by stomach Helicobacter Pylori infection or stomach inflammation. Due to long lasting acid reflux, esophageal inflammation (Barrets esophagus) can appear. All this possibilities needs to be checked. To do that gastroscopy needs to be done. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.

Follow-up: What medicine can I take for acid reflex and heartburn and what causes burning sensation in chest? 4 minutes later
I'm a 80 year old woman the burning goes away then comes back like every 2 hours

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: At your age heart problem is possible. Even if ECG and blood work did not diagnosed it. So if you feel that your pain is similar to heart pain description, you should also consult cardiologist, have stress test and heart ultrasound. Gastroscopy should be done anyways. Regards.

Follow-up: What medicine can I take for acid reflex and heartburn and what causes burning sensation in chest? 3 minutes later
Ok I didn't get heartburn for awhile until 2 weeks ago and got sick was throwing everything I ate up now things are staying down but have bad heartburn

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 minute later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: Well, this should force you to have gastroscopy done. This test seems to be most important right now. Please consult gastrologist. Regards.

Follow-up: What medicine can I take for acid reflex and heartburn and what causes burning sensation in chest? 1 minute later
What can they do for it

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: First of all they will check for the reason of it. During gastroscopy they can see your esophagus, stomach and duodenum from inside, diagnose any lesions like ulcer or cancer, any surface changes. They are able to collect samples for histology and for Helicobacter Pylori. Samples are very important as some of stomach and esophagus changes can lead to a cancer and regular control is necessary. Helicobacter Pylori infection can be eradicated what in many cases completely cures from the symptoms. After gastroscopy if no serious problems will be present you will get medicines to decrease stomach acid secretion (in proper dosage, your regular dosage may not be effective) and antibiotics for H.Pylori infection. Regards.

So I could have cancer and that's bad right

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 minutes later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: Generally cancer possibility is low (few percents). But this is the most serious possibility, that is why it needs to be ruled out in first row. Many people ignore first symptoms of stomach cancer and are diagnosed when it is too late. Early detected stomach cancer is curable. So it is not that bad, just do not ignore your symptoms. Regards.

They did a ultra sound on my stomach found I had gall stones but said didn't need them removed would ultra sound detect cancer

Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: Ultrasound is not perfect method for stomach or intestines visualization. Doctors performing the test skills are very important. Generally ultrasound can detect advanced stomach cancer and should not be treated as a method for early cancer detection. That is why gastroscopy is necessary. Regards.