What medicine can I take for Paget's disease?

Allergist and Immunologist
hAS MEDICARE taken Reclast off its list of drugs for my Pagets disease. My rheumatologist tells me that it will no longer be available? If zoledronic acid is availble where is it manufactured and does it have FDA approval ? I forgot to mention that I have received this annually for the past 5 yrs. I also forgot to add osteoporosis in my history.
Posted Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in Lupus
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 38 minutes later
Brief Answer: Novartis manufactures Zolendronic under 4 names Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to Healthcare Magic. Zolendronic acid is an important drug for the management of Paget's disease. Reclast is a brand of Novartis approved by the FDA as a 5mg single once-yearly infusion. Zometa (also zolendronic acid) was approved by the FDA for hypercalcemia of malignancy in 2001. (available at 4mg/5ml concentrate) However, Zometa did not receive a license for treatment of Paget's. Why this was the case, I do not know. So if Reclast is being taken off the Medicare's list surely they should have received approval for Zometa or Aclasta or Zomera (all zolendronic acid, 3 diff brands). There are subtle differences in these brands, so all would have to go through FDA approval for the treatment indications, providing data on safety and efficacy and side effects. Your doctor should be able to give you more information on the alternatives available to you now. Best Wishes.