What medicine can I give for my baby having skin rashes on chest?

Dec 2013

Skin Rash Developed on chest for my Baby girl. She is 11 months old. Can send snaps if required. 2 days back it was noticed and it is slowly spreading.
Posted Wed, 15 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 22 hours later
Brief Answer: Fungal infection; apply cream "clotrimazole" Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome and thanks for posting your query to healthcare magic. I can understand your concern for the rash over your daughter's chest. After reading your query and thoroughly analyzing the picture I can make out the two possibilities: 1. Fungal infection : due to fungal growth on affected area causing mild map like appearance of rash with slightly raised borders and central clearing with mild redness. 2. Contact dermatitis: In simple words allergy to contact of some contact allergen material chest causing the rash. This is a simple condition where due to multiple factors or agents coming in contact with skin can cause mild to moderate changes on the skin in form of a rash with pronounced redness all over the affected area. The first sign of both the conditions is always mild rash over the affected part. Both can be aggravated by sweating and humidity. For the general betterment measures kindly follow the suggestions below: 1. Avoid direct sunlight and hot – humid climate. 2. Let her wear cotton clothes and avoid synthetic clothes. 3.Keep her in cool environment and avoid sweating. 4. If weather permits (if not too cold) then let her take two time bath once in morning and at night time which will soothe skin and prevent the aggravation of the problem 5. Do not Pinch pop or squeeze or rub any area. 6. Do not use any creams or any cosmetics over and near the affected area. 7. Do XXXXXXX warm compression over the affected area. Take a wet towel soaked in cold water and apply it for 5-10 minutes for 3-4 times a day. For the part of treatment kindly follow the suggestions below: - In my view I will keep the first possibility of fugal infection because of its appearance. IN our clinical practice where it is too early to comment on both the conditions then also we prefer to give anti-fugal treatment first rather than steroid based creams. SO I suggest you to apply an anti-fungal cream containing "clotrimazole" or "sertaconazole" on the affected area. Apply the cream in a very thin layer so that it should not be visible to the naked eye. Take a very very little amount. There is no need to give any anti-fungal tablet by mouth. -If there is any irritation or itching is present then can give her syrup Cetrizine half teaspoon for 2-3 times. Overall you should not be worried about both the conditions as are totally treatable and simple conditions. You just keep a close watch on the area. I hope these information's will help you. If you have further queries I will be happy to help. "Wish you good health" Regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology)