What medication is used to prevent venous hematoma ?

Hello, found an unexplained bruise on my arm, cant pinpoint anything that may have caused it, bruise is unlike any ive had before with a white spot surrounded by red and purple bruise, red and purple spots seem to make up the bruise. Underneath the white spot is a pea size lump which is tender to touch sore to push, bruise itself is not sore. Bruise is about 5cm in diameter. Have had for about 4days now color seems to have lighted and bruise has slighlty spread in one direction about 1cm
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 38 minutes later

From the description it seems that the bruise could be caused by one of the following causes:-
1. Venous Hematoma : Minimal Trauma to the superficial blood vessels can result in slight extravasation of blood from the veins and this can be seen as a bruised area, above the vein. The lump described could be due to formation of a clot around the disrupted vein. This condition is a self limited and resolves on its own in about 7 - 10 days without any effects as the vein repairs itself. Use of Ibuprofen and Icepacks can reduce the discomfort, pain and any swelling.

2. A infected Abscess with overlying cellulitis:- Infection of the underlying soft tissue, can cause inflammmatory changes and hence bruised appearance.

This condition might need an examination and treatment with antibiotics to clear the infection. If it does not subside, an Incision and drainage might be done to remove the infected material and help in quick healing.

3. Infected lymph node : Presents with a lump, that appears red and is painful on examination.

For any condition to be treated, a proper diagnosis is essential, and for this a visual examination of the lesion would be helpful. Hence it would be very helpful to me, to guide you accordingly if you can provide me images illustrating your condition.

You can upload images of the lesions in the right side of the query box, which after going through would help me in suggesting you better.

You can also email it to me at YYYY@YYYY with the instruction ATTN: Dr. ANVEKAR in the subject line.

Please do confirm by writing here about the uploading of the photo as to suggest you at the earliest.

I would like to provide you with specific suggestions after going through the photo.

Waiting for your response.

Dr Anvekar.
Follow-up: What medication is used to prevent venous hematoma ? 2 hours later
thanks for your respones. i have attached an image.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 13 minutes later
Hello Again.

Thanks for sending me the images. I have seen them and they were very helpful.

The swelling is indeed looks like 'Venous hematoma' (as mentioned above) which appears to be clearing now.

As mentioned above, the condition will resolve on its own in about 7 - 10 days without any effects as the vein will repair itself. Use of Ibuprofen and Icepacks can reduce the discomfort, pain and any swelling. Ibuprofen 400 mg taken twice a day after food for the next 5 days will reduce the discomfort and sensitivity.

In addition application of pressure with the help of adhesive bandage (Self Grip) will provide support for proper healing.

I hope this helps.

Wish you healthy and speedy recovery.

Dr. Deepak Anvekar.