What medication can be taken for cough and cold for my 8 month old child ?

Jasmine was born 20/12/2010. she has only had one othr cold
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 10 minutes later

Thanks for contacting us.

It seems that your query related to your daughters health condition, has not been received in complete format.

It would be helpful if you can provide a complete history and additional reports (if available). I will be available to help you.

Waiting for your response.

Dr Anvekar.

Follow-up: What medication can be taken for cough and cold for my 8 month old child ? 1 hour later
Hi Dr Anvekar.

I am not sure why that happened. She is 8 months old and had a cold for the last week, she had a mild temp last week for a couple of days but no more. This week she has a really dry cough, runny nose (clear mucus). No temp. but the cough is really dry. Mostly mornings and when she lies down and evenings - night. I have the vaporiser on and giving her nasal drops and vicks of course. She is happy in herself and well hydrated, not eating as much as she normally does. She has had some greenish nappies also but not all the time. I still breast feed her, I am just concerened and need to know what to do about the cough and also if I should be concerned about the couple of nappies that are a greenish colour the last couple of days. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 1 hour later

Thank you for the additional information.

Infants below the age of 1 year, commonly are predisposed to common cold viruses which result in cough and runny nose.

The additional information given indicates that little Jasmine has a viral bronchitis.

Such viral infections usually begins with symptoms of a runny nose and cough, which gradually progress over three to four days developing into a frequent, nonproductive, dry, hacking cough. Symptoms will gradually improve over the next five to ten days and there is no need to worry. The condition is managed symptomatically to provide comfort and rest.

1. Elevation of the infant's head during the night helps to reduce nighttime coughing. This can be done safely by placing one or more pillows underneath the mattress.

2. Steam inhalation via a vapouriser will help a lot to relieve any congestion. The steam can make breathing easier. Exposure to steam for at least 20 minutes several times a day or night is sufficient.

3. A cool-mist humidifier will help as dry, hot air can only aggravate a cough.

4. Its good that she is well hydrated. Continue breast feeding and additional fluids which will help in thinning the mucus drainage that can contribute to throat soreness and coughing.

5. An over-the-counter pain reliever, such as Infant's Advil may be given to relieve the inflammation and help early healing.

The viral infection causes infants to be lethargic or less active than they usually are, and the resultant fatigue causes them to have a reduced appetite (Eating for kids requires energy, and lack of energy causes them to avoid eating). This is a transient period during which the body is fighting the viruses and will soon subside and hence little Jasmine will soon improve and get better.

The greenish stools are probably due to the bile secretions which are excreted as such, as a result of her reduced appetite. They are nothing to be worried about and will resolve soon with resolution of the illness.

In case she develops high grade fever with greenish purulent expectoration, breathing difficulty, excessive sleepiness, being very fussy, has vomiting and is avoiding feedings completely - these would indicate a bacterial infection superimposed on the viral infection. In such a situation she might need treatment with antibiotics. Hence she might need to be seen by a pediatrician for proper treatment.

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to consult me again if you have any doubts.

Dr Anvekar.