What medication and vitamins can I take for an inflamed retina post cataract surgery?

what medication and vitamins can I take for an inflamed retina after cataract surgery
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 23 hours later
Hi Emelie,

Although there is no great benefit observed many surgeons still prescribe multivitamins. I feel that the vitamins that you current take are best and no need of any extra. Include XXXXXXX leaves in the diet which I can suggest personally.

I found this information from Retinal Surgeons website about cataract and macular degeneration as retinitis are closely related, it can help you as an educational tool.

A major study sponsored by the National Eye Institute (NEI), one of the Federal Government’s National Institutes of Health, and conducted at eleven major medical research facilities around the US. In the study, scientists looked at the effects of zinc and antioxidants, and a combination of both, on patients with cataract, and on those with varying stages of age-related macular degeneration (AMD). They also studied patients without evidence of cataract or AMD to determine if the supplements can prevent the development of these conditions.

The study showed a number of important things:
High levels of antioxidants and zinc can reduce the risk of vision loss from advanced AMD by about 19% in high-risk patients (patients with intermediate AMD or advanced AMD in one eye but not the other).
Supplements do not provide significant benefit in patients with minimal AMD.
These nutritional supplements do not prevent the initial development of AMD, nor do they improve vision already lost to AMD.
Nutritional supplements do not seem to prevent cataracts, or to keep them from getting worse over time. While most patients in the study experience no serious side effects from the doses of zinc and antioxidants used, a few taking zinc alone had urinary tract problems that required hospitalization. Some patients taking large doses of antioxidants experienced some yellowing of the skin. The long-term effects of taking large doses of these supplements are still unknown.

The doses used in the study were:
Vitamin C 500mg
Vitamin E 400 IU
Beta-carotene 15 mg
Zinc 80 mg as zinc oxide
Copper 2 mg as cupric oxide (copper should be taken with zinc, because high-dose zinc is associated with copper deficiency).
The vitamin preparation used in the study is now commercially available. Two of these supplements on the market are Ocuvite-PreserVision (2 tablets twice a day) and Alcon ICaps (AREDS formula) (2 tablets twice a day). Other similar preparations may also be available.

Hope it helps.

Hope I answer your query.
Follow-up: What medication and vitamins can I take for an inflamed retina post cataract surgery? 1 hour later
I started taking Vit. A today, as I read that Vit. A helps in making our retina more healthy. I noticed a slight improvement, and less strain when reading. What do you think of this. Also, do you think that this retina inflammation will eventually subside?
Many thanks.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 2 hours later

Thanks for folowing me up ,

Yes, Vit A do help in making retina healthy.The improvement in the vision specially in dim light is by Vit A.
The role of Vit A in reducing the inflammation is unclear.

Wish you Good health.
Follow-up: What medication and vitamins can I take for an inflamed retina post cataract surgery? 18 hours later
Thank you so much for your prompt answer. I have one more question. Can you recommend any vitamins or supplements I can take to reduce the inflammation of my right eye retina.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 3 hours later
Hi again,

Do take Vitamin A along with foods containing Omega-3 fatty acids which plays a important role in protecting the retina from the damage as depicted in reliable reports of Foundation Fighting Blindness.

I shall give you a list of foods containing the same ( Omega-3 fatty acids ) :
Fish, plant, and nut oils are the primary dietary source of omega-3 fatty acids. cold-water fish such as salmon,mackerel,halibut,sardines,tuna, and herring.

flaxseeds, flaxseed oil, canola (rapeseed) oil, soybeans, soybean oil, pumpkin seeds, pumpkin seed oil, purslane, perilla seed oil, walnuts, and walnut oil.

Also I would like to advice some Dont's :

1)Reduce or eliminate drinking caffeine and sodas,
2)Eliminate XXXXXXX fat fried foods
3)Avoid monosodium glutanate (MSG), which is used as a flavor enhancer, because it is a potential retinal toxin
4)Avoid smoking and alcohol , if any

Wish you Good health.