What medication and diet do you suggest for elevated cholesterol ?

XXXXXXX XXXXXXX 50 years, 72kg, Pl. find the attached my test reports. I need your suggestion regd. medication including diet chart. I have sent my test reports to YYYY@YYYY

Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 24 hours later

I have reviewed your reports.

Your cholesterol is markedly elevated especially triglycerides and LDL - Cholesterol, both of which are bad for body. There is also minor elevation of GGT. This can be due to fat accumulation in liver. People who consume alcohol also have it. It will come down with weight reduction.

Your Blood Sugars are Normal.

The picture of yours suggests Xanthelasma - Cholesterol deposition under the eyes.

You will need to do three things.
1. Dietary Modifications as below
2. Regular Exercise and weight reduction if you are over weight
3. You definitely require to take medicines for your cholesterol. A combination of Statin and Fenofibrate will be preferable. Your primary physician will prescribe you the same if asked for.

Diet Changes as advised Below:

• Avoid fried food. Choose baked, broiled, boiled, roasted, steamed and grilled.
• Herbal tea and decaffeinated coffee are good choices of beverages at a meal, as is a glass of ice water with a wedge of lemon or lime.
• Salads are available almost everywhere and are useful choices. Order salads with reduced - calories salad dressing. Choosing your meal from the salad bar is a good source of good food.
• Look for items labeled "Heart-Healthy" on the menu.
• Don't be afraid to ask how a dish is prepared.
• Substitute low - fat choices (steamed vegetables for creamed sauces, baked potatoes for French fries, etc.)
• Avoid items described with terms like battered, creamed, au gratin, scalloped, and breaded. Good terms include poached, steamed, baked etc.
• Pastas: Avoid cream or meat sauces.
• Sandwiches: Choose lean and not processed meat, get extra lettuce and tomato and avoid mayonnaise.

Many patients have found themselves very capable of eating properly at home but quickly fall into old habits when it's time to eat out. During the past ten years or so, restaurants have become
more aware that many of their patrons are on restricted diets. You should make special requests for foods that are more appropriate to your needs. Keep the following tips in mind when you order a
• Starters covered with sauces as well as creamy dressings, thick soups and casseroles should be avoided because they are usually XXXXXXX in fat. Unfortunately, most deserts in good restaurants are terribly high in saturated fats. Ask for a dish of fresh fruit instead.

Foods to be avoided
• Aerated drinks such as pepsi, coca cola, fanta etc.
• Bakery products (pastries, cakes, buns, white breads)
• Whole milk (high fat) & its products
• Dried fruits such as cashew, pistachio etc.
• Coconut & its products
• Pizza, noodles, burgers, fried foods like chips, namkeens, etc.
• Ghee, butter, vanaspati, palm oil, coconut oil
• Red meat, organ meat, egg yolk, bacon, lard, XXXXXXX fried foods

Hope this answers your query. Please get back if you need any further information

Thanks and Regards

Dr Kiran
Follow-up: What medication and diet do you suggest for elevated cholesterol ? 48 hours later
My weight is 72 kg. & Heigght is 5'6". Should I lose wieght ?
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 2 hours later

The ideal weight is roughly equal to Height (in cms) - 100.

So if you are 166 cms , your ideal weight is 66 kgs.

So you need to reduce a little bit..

Take Care,

Dr Kiran