What may be the reason for more than 5 days of bleeding? Any medications required?

Mar 2016

When my bleeding will stop...wat may be the reason for more than 5days of bleeding?..any medications required? I'm doing my normal activities no tiredness.
Posted Fri, 31 May 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

First of all, you need to undergo one pelvic ultrasound scan & blood test for beta- HCG to rule out pregnancy or possible miscarriage as you give H/O 5 days bleeding following 6 months of amenorrhea (absence of period). It also helps to rule out other underlying pathology.

In exclusion of pregnancy, reasons are hormonal imbalance, ovarian cyst, vaginal or pelvic infection, thyroid disturbance, uterine pathology (like polyp/ fibroid), psychological factor, over weight or obesity etc.

In addition to above test reports, complete hormone assay, thyroid profile, blood prolactin level, endometrial biopsy following D & C may be required.

Please consult with your nearest gynecologist for proper guidance including pelvic examination & relevant investigation to pin point the diagnosis. Complete treatment depends on underlying causes. For temporary arrest of bleeding, you may take tranexamic acid group of drug for 3-5 days. Progesterone pill may be required for 5-7 days.

In the interim, do follow underlying things for healthy lifestyle :

1) Take healthy diet with more vegetables and vitamin & iron supplements.
2) Drink plenty of water and eat more green vegetables & fresh fruits.
3) Try to avoid stress by yoga/ meditation regularly (20-30 minutes).
4) Control body weight by regular light physical exercise. Maintain genital hygiene. Take sound sleep.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly ask me by viewing this page WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish your good health.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: What may be the reason for more than 5 days of bleeding? Any medications required? 3 hours later
I had complete protection...during every sex and checked with urine pregnancy test every month which were negative .during November I went blood and urine test which was normal.
With these above kindly let me know can I take tablets which u prescribed ..
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later

Thanks for follow up query.

You can take tranexamic acid group of drug (like PAUSE) for 3-5 days to arrest bleeding temporarily.

Next, you would undergo above mentioned investigations after consultation with gynecologist to rule out underlying pathology. Supportive medication can only be taken according to test reports.

Hope it helps for you. If you do not need any clarification, you can close the discussion & rate the answer.

Dr Soumen