What lifestyle changes should be made to avoid risk of diabetes, hypertension and heart disease?

Hi Doctor I had filled following details in my query which seems not get attached with my question . I am XXXXXXX XXXXXXX from Amritsar,i am 5'-10.5'' tall ,Wake up around 6.30 a.m in morning and sleeps 11.30 p.m , sleep is sound and i wake up by myself before alarm most of time ,do not feel tired during day .Present weight is 90 kg ,i was 97 kg two years back and then was doing 40 to 50 mins of brisk walk 6 days a week ,since last 9 months i am doing 6 days a week exercise which includes 5 to 8 km jogging (alternate days ) ,cycling or cross trainer or dance aerobics ( 15 to 30 mins ) ( ( heart rate goes up to 135 per min ) + stretching exercises or yoga for 20 to 30 mins + light weight training major muscle groups for ( 3 times a week ) ( completed half marathon ( 21 km) on 15th Dec 1013 in 2.30 hours ) My eating habits I am a non vegetarian taking 4 to 6 eggs per week , home cooked chicken ( breast pieces )5 times a week , eat fish once or twice a week .eat 2 to 4 fruits in a day ,green vegetables ,cereals daily ,few nuts ,dates ,raisins or figs ,toned milk with cornflakes or oatmeal ,whole grain breads and once a week deep fried food . 2 to 3 drinks once a week and one cigarette daily. I was diagnosed with hypertension 90/140 3 yeas back and had under gone stress eco test at Escorts Hospital Amritsar( reports came out as NORMAL Study ) . I am taking Natrilix SR( Indapamide) one tablet every morning 10.00 A M and Ecosprin 75 one tablet every night affer dinner .Some times i also take two Abana ayurvedic tablets ( himalaya company ) during day time ,keep taking it one or two month and then give interval of one month . My BP usually is 76 /118 and occasionally 85/ 125 .Some times i feel heart beating very fast even while sitting in office which get normal after a while .My Cholesterol and triglyceride are normal and fasting and blood glucose level 82 and PP glucose level is 108. Family history My father ,mother( age 69) and younger brother( age 39)all have hypertension and taking medication for it ,father has Diabetes since last 40 yrs ( his age is 74) and has heart trouble too since 10 yrs.Grand mother was diabetic too and died of heart attack at age of 65. My biggest worry is that i want to keep my BP in control in future and i fear very much about heart attack and stroke .Please guide me .
Posted Mon, 27 Jan 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 23 hours later
Brief Answer: Lifestyle modification will prevent all diseases Detailed Answer: Hi there, Thanks for your query. I have thoroughly gone through the information provided and have to the conclusion that you have:- * Inherent risk factors in the form of family history of diabetes, hypertension and heart disease. These risk factors are beyond your control. * Modifiable risk factors (for heart disease/stroke) in the form of overweight + hypertension. You should therefore, concentrate on these two factors :- # Reduce your weight in a phased manner, to around 78-80kg through dietary restriction: - reduce eggs intake to 2-3/week; chicken to 1-2 times/week; you continue with rest of the items, as before. - Cut down on your salt intake to less than 10 gm/day. - Low calorie (1500 Calories), low fat, HIGH protein diet. Consult a local dietician who will prepare a diet chart, based on the recommended requirements. - Take a plateful of salads 15 minutes before lunch and dinner. - STRICTLY AVOID alcohol, junk food, fast food, soft drinks/aerated drinks, confectionary, ice-creams, sweets etc. # Keep your Blood Pressure under tight control, to around 120/80 or less. As such, your BP is already under ideal control, while on medication. # Regular check of Lipid Profile so as to maintain your Lipid levels to within ideal levels. # In view of family history of Diabetes, get your fasting and post-prandial blood sugar done every six months. # Continue with the present quantum of exercises. You can rest assured that, with strict adherence to the advice rendered above, you will remain free from heart disease or stroke. Lastly, if at all, you develop diabetes in future (given the family history), maintenance of ideal diabetic control should be your goal. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal
Follow-up: What lifestyle changes should be made to avoid risk of diabetes, hypertension and heart disease? 18 hours later
Dear Doctor Thank you for your valuable advice and i will try my best to adhere with your suggestions for ever . I have one question regarding my medication " Ecosprin 75 mg " ..should i keep on taking Ecosprin 75 or should i switch to " Ecosprin AV 75 mg " Can " Ecosprin AV 75 mg " be preventive in heart problems and in Diabetes ?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: STOP Ecosprin forthwith Detailed Answer: There is NO REQUIREMENT of ECOSPRIN whatsoever. Please STOP it immediately. Take care, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal