What king of food should i avoid while suffering from liver cirrhosis and what exactly in fluid restriction?

Hello, Received the diagnosis of liver cirrhosis today. Have quite extensive ascites. Weight at clinic was 205.7lbs, my weight in September (checked at home) 172.9lbs. Doctor did ultrasound of abdomen and liver, free fluid in my abdomen. Signs of cirrhosis on liver. Was prescribed spironlactone (100) and furosemide (40) once daily. Low salt diet and a fluid restriction was recommended. The pharmacist recommended taking the meds in the morning, why is that? They are water pills, will they make me pee a lot more? How fast can I expect my belly to return to normal considering the size (picture attached)? What are side effects of those meds? About the low salt diet, how much salt can I take? What foods should I avoid? And what is meant by fluid restriction exactly? The doctor I saw wasn't very specific and forthcoming with information. Awaiting a answer anxiously. Thank you.
Posted Mon, 27 Jan 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 18 hours later
Brief Answer: They have to be taken in the morning Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. They are diuretics and remove the excess fluid in the abdomen as urine. Yes, you do urinate a lot when you take these medications. The prognosis of the ascites depends on the Ultrasound estimation of the fluid. It can be postulated that round 300 ml of fluid can be lost per day with the combination of medicine prescribed to you. Potassium deficiency is a commonly encountered side effect with furosemide but this effect is nullified by Spironolactone. The combination is good and safe. Better to restrict salt altogether in diet. You can have foods of your choice but do avoid fatty and spicy food considering liver damage. Fluid restriction means drinking less amount of water, only when needed. Less than 1 ltr per day. Hope, I answered your query. Wish you good health. Regards,
Follow-up: What king of food should i avoid while suffering from liver cirrhosis and what exactly in fluid restriction? 1 hour later
Thank you for your timely answer. I do have some follow up questions. When you say I will pee a lot, how frequently can I expect having to go? If I don't take those pills (I am reluctant to take them and haven't yet taking the first dose), what would happen? If I do take them, for how long do you think I will need to be on those meds? Could I stop once the ascites is gone? About the diet, completely restricting salt means I can't add any salt to my food? Awaiting a response, thank you.