What kind of treatment should I take for poor memory problems?

I am having problems remembering stuff. Specifically small tasks and I end up jumbling with multiple priorities. I am not been able to stick to my decisions and have become submissive to what others say or ask for. Not sure what kind of treatment is available for such things?
Posted Tue, 18 Feb 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 42 hours later
Brief Answer: Follow below steps. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress. Important aspects of your query are: • 40 year old male • Known case of hyperthyroidism on Neomercazole. • Complaints of: poor memory, poor concentration, indecisiveness and submissive behavior. Poor memory, poor concentration, indecisiveness and submissive behavior are symptoms of anxiety and depression. You are already diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and on treatment for this. Which are risk factor for developing anxiety and depression. Following steps will help you in treatment: -Monitor thyroid function test at 1-2 months interval and keep it within normal limit with medicine dose adjustment. -Healthy diet: Milk and fruits in diet. -Daily morning walk -Fix sleep and wake up time -Do not use caffeine (tea, coffee and cold drink) -Stop substance use like alcohol (If present in your case) -Breathing exercise, yoga and meditation (which you can learn from some nearby expert) If symptoms persist even after 1 month of following these measure then you can visit nearby psychiatrist for intervention. In drug treatment two types of medicine used. For immediate relief of anxiety symptoms benzodiazepines group of medicines are used for short term and for long term relief most commonly SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) are used. SSRI takes around 3-4 weeks to show its effect. Non drug treatment like cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT: form of psychotherapy) is also helpful in your condition which takes 4-6 weeks to show its effect. I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups. Wish you good health. Regards,