What kind of test is done to determine alkaline phosphatase levels and what is the treatment for patella femoral syndrome?
User rating for this question
Hi just wondering about some lab test results of my 18 year old son. 16 months ago he had a alkalinephosphatase result which was 275. recently it was 228 last October. At that point they said it had something to do with his bones. I asked the dr., what this meant and he referred him to a bone specialist who said his lab result was high because he was still growing. I want to know how he knew that. I am concerned because when he was 14 he had patella femoral syndrome and a small lesion (told me it was due to growing) on his femur. I want to know what type of test the bone dr. performed to decide his alp level 240U/L is nothing to worry about. A biliary tree was done, ultrasound, was normal and he was tested for hepatitis. Thank you for this service.
Posted Sat, 25 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: Alkaline phosphatise is raised in growing age . Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. An alkaline phosphate is marker of bone growth. It may be raised in bone disease or liver disease. Now as all his liver investigation are normal, so liver disease is ruled out. The maximum rise of alkaline phosphatise is seen between 12 to 15 years. It gradually decrease by 18 years. If it's only alkaline phosphatase is high, then it is most likely due to growing age and nothing to worry. If we need to rule out bone disease then some tests will be useful such as serum calcium, phosphate and alkaline phosphatase and vit d 3 levels may be done. Further renal function test for renal osteodystrophy may also be planned. Rarely malignancies resulting in expression of ALP-like gene e.g. seminomas. You can do these blood test after consulting his doctor. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Take care.
Follow-up: What kind of test is done to determine alkaline phosphatase levels and what is the treatment for patella femoral syndrome? 10 hours later
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 17 hours later
Brief Answer: Welcome Detailed Answer: Hi Yes GGT test is specific for liver and you can do it to rule out any abnormality. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Take care.
People also viewed
- Demerits of dengue fever
- Had difficulty in raising arm above shoulder cause and treatment
- Ringing noise obssesive dementia
- What is the significance of alkaline phosphatase test
- What is high alkaline phosphatase
- Tendonitis rotatory cuff problem right shoulder hurts any treatment
- Delsym when pregnant to placenta
- Leg pain will i get relief from injections
- Have pattern alopecia tirendess acne joint pain stiffness advice
- Pregnant aching ankle not swollen is this normal in pregnancy
- What is alkaline phosphatase level
- High alkaline phosphatase what is the cause treatment
- Ischemic demyelination and treatment
- What is alkaline phosphatase at 178
- Headache diarrhea pale dengue